Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Down and Derby

Last night was the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Jaren's car did better this year than last year's pencil car - yes, he had a pencil shaped car - unfortunately, it hit the trash after the race and we didn't get a picture of it. We convinced him after his dismal finish to have a "real" car shape this year for the Pinewood Derby.

Below - Grant and Jaren are neck in neck - the tension in the air was thick - look at their faces! Who will win it? Who will win it? So close! (Honestly, Jaren may have won this one - I wasn't paying attention - my friend Janet took these shots for me - I was busy gabbing - I know, bad mom - next year, buddy)




There was a snag in the track and after several cars biting the dust the Derby "track crew" came out to repair the track. See how it takes three grown men and two boys monitoring the situation to ensure that it's done correctly? My personal opinion is that the tools were cool and that's why so many guys gathered to "help" out.
Here's another pit crew situation below - Jaren's personal pit crew consisting of Daddy (Mike) and of course it wouldn't be complete without Dallin - he was helping lubricate the wheels with his drool.



Notice below that Jaren's scout shirt is numberless? Yeah, he's been a scout for about 18 months now and I have yet to sew on his pack numbers. I do have the nifty plastic holder for his badges so the shirt can be passed on to Ammon when he enters the scouting program, though. I really need to get those numbers sewn on. Bad on me.



I'm really winning the mother of the year award, aren't I? ....not paying attention to the races, not sewing on the patches - on a positive note, however, I helped hand out cookies to everyone after the racing was done! Don't I score points for that? And even blogging about the derby so we can have a permanent record is a good thing, too - see, so I'm not so bad after all (as I pat myself on the back).

No comments: