Thursday, October 9, 2008

Smiling is free

I just read an article about minding your manners and thought it was good enough to share.

After reading the article, I was reading some of the comments it received. One of the readers said, "I've been teaching my kids for years to hold doors open, say the magic words [please, thank you, you're welcome] and that smiling is free."

I love that little thought. Really, how hard is it to be sincerely kind? We can all make a difference in someone's life if we just smile.

Okay, so now I'm going to get a little personal. When my son Ammon was born, I had severe post partum depression. Why am I telling you this? Just hold on a second, I'm getting to that, I promise, but have got to spell out the history first...

Anyway, I was very depressed and felt like I didn't have any friend in the world - except for Mike and really, come on girls, we need girlfriends, too. Our husbands can and should be our best friends, but we need the girl power, right? So, I really was down on myself, but whenever I had a day at church when someone gave me a friendly smile, it was a real pick-me-up. It didn't cost that person a thing, but it was priceless to me.

So, remember the next time you're out somewhere, put on that smile 'cause "you're never fully dressed without a smile....SMILE DARN YA SMILE" - (from the musical ANNIE.)

*S*M*I*L*E*

No comments: